Awhile back, I posted about the stacks of fabric needing to be magically transformed into projects. I am happy to report that I managed to complete 9 pairs of PJ pants…plus one. Yes, I am insane, 10 pairs of pj pants. I suppose technically they were 3 pairs of fleecy/sweatpants and 7 pairs of pj bottoms…. but 10 none the less.
The girls had picked out 3 flannel fabrics and a fleece fabric each. As I was going through my stash (another post for another day) I found a big piece of flannel so I could make pants for Charlie and a length of orange cotton fleece that I had bought on sale to make Gwen something. Since the pants for the girls would all take the same pattern, and it’s the same assembly routine for all the pants, I decided to go for it and make them all up at once. I sewed in two batches, two of the fabrics were on the light side so I made those up with cream thread and the rest were in black, this saves me having to re-thread my serger for each color.
When I have a number of the same things to make, I do all the operations in batches. I cut and mark everything at once, stitch all of the inner legs at the same time, press and stitch all the hems at the same time…you get the picture. It is far more efficient to work this way than to complete one pant then start on the next one.
The bonus to this process is that when you’re done, you’re DONE. And, I won’t have to sew pajama pants for awhile. Of course, you will note there are no pants for me ;-).
9 pairs of “cozy pants” as we call them. They are growing leaps and bounds, hopefully this will hold them for awhile. One last pair of pants…
Of course, they need to be approved by the studio assistant. On to the next stack of fabric!